Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 3
Reducing organic solvent emissions and elimination of hazardous waste
FAMED Żywiec sp. z o.o.
Industry branch: electrical machinery industry (manufacture of medical equipment)
Resources in question:
- Materials (paints)
- Chemicals (solvents, TRI)
- Emissions into the atmosphere (VOCs)
- Waste (hazardous)
The process of painting steel surfaces was a wet process, using phthalic paints. Annual consumption of paints (about 320 kg/year) and their solvents (about 340 kg/year), resulted in VOC emissions of about 0.490 Mg/year with single-shift operation.
As part of the modernization, the process of degreasing surfaces in trichloroethylene vapor (the so-called TRI washer) was replaced by degreasing operations in a Finnish washer and rinsing on a so-called washing line. These operations are carried out in aqueous, low-concentration and low-temperature preparations. The Finnish washer is a closed device and is not a source of environmentally harmful emissions. On the other hand, the washing process carried out in the washing line, where elements are washed, rinsed and passivated (temporary corrosion protection) results in negligible emissions of pollutants into the atmosphere (ethylenediamine 0.008 Mg/year).
Changes in technological processes related to the application of paint coatings involved:
- Replacement of wet painting with powder coating, implemented between 1995 and 2001.
- Elimination of organic solvents from the sheet metal pre-washing process – 1999.
- Elimination of trichloroethylene from sheet metal washing operations prior to powder coating – 2001.
- Reduction in emissions of volatile organic compounds by about 80%
- Reduction in the amount of hazardous waste requiring disposal by approximately 96%
- Improvement of health and safety conditions at workplaces
- Reduction of paint shop operating costs
- “Sustainability Reports” submitted by FAMED located in Żywiec as part of the Polish Cleaner Production Movement
- Materials submitted by FAMED Żywiec Sp. z o.o.