Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 73
Reducing plastic waste generation
Amar Cendrowscy s.c., Kruklanki
Industry branch: manufacturing of wire products
Main products: steel screens
Resources in question:
- Secondary raw materials
(investment costs: about PLN 11,320; costs of increased tap water consumption: about PLN 325/year)
The handling of fillers received in shipments has also been changed. Instead of throwing them away, once the shipment was received and unpacked, the company started to collect the fillers in a separate container in the packing room for reuse in future shipments.
Water diffusers connected to the municipal network were also purchased and put into operation throughout the company, in the company's cafeteria and production halls. This eliminated beverages in bottles and plastic containers throughout the company. Instead of leasing, it was decided to purchase diffusers to emphasize that the change was made permanent and not just temporary. In addition, employees were provided with reusable bottles.
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Elimination of plastic bottles at a rate of about 7,000 bottles/year (i.e., about 583 bottles/month)
- Reduction of stretch film consumption by about 312 kg – i.e., about 156 rolls – per year (monthly average: 26 kg, which is about 13 rolls)
- Total savings: about PLN 14,000/year, obtained thanks to:
- liquidation of bottled beverages: more than PLN 12,700 (data as of 2020),
- liquidation of an additional waste container, emptied twice a month: about PLN 1,000,
- reduction of the consumption of stretch film: about PLN 200,
- Payback period: approximately 8 months
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 48.766, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at AMAR Cendrowscy s.c.: "Reducing plastic waste generation"