Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 26
Electrification of the car fleet
GRUPA EKOPRO Sp. z o.o. sp. k., Zielona Góra
Industry branch: environmental protection, consulting
Main services: consulting and environmental services
Resources in question:
- Fossil fuels
- Electrical enery
- Emissions into the atmosphere
(approx. PLN 590,000 – the cost of purchasing 2 hybrid and 1 electric car)
Description of the problem:
By operating its own fleet of cars, the company had accurate data on the combustion and mileage of different types of cars. The relatively constant operating conditions made it possible to reliably assess and compare the appropriateness of the two solutions, both in the economic and ecological terms.
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Calculations made with the following assumptions: a PHEV charged from the grid, HEVs with their own energy recuperation, and a BEV charged from its own RES installation:
- reduction in CO2 emissions per 100 km by about 16% (about 2 kg less CO2 per 100 km on average).
- reduction of transportation costs by about PLN 21,000 per year. Each 100 km driven in the electric-hybrid option is cheaper for the company by an average of about PLN 20. The payback period was estimated at about 3 years.
- Unfortunately, the calculations also show that as the share of charging an electric car from a grid powered by electricity produced mainly from fossil fuels increases, the environmental effect of the difference in CO2 emissions may be lower. Therefore a lot depends on the sources from which the electricity drawn by the cars comes.
- Promoting electric and hybrid transportation and improving the environmental awareness of the company's stakeholders.
- Support for the EU's low-carbon economy, which aims to reduce harmful emissions from transportation, which may be particularly evident in areas of larger cities.
- Less noise (outside and inside the car), which translates into improved driving comfort for employees, among other things.
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 49.799, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at Grupa EKOPRO Sp. z o.o. Sp.k.: "Electrification of the car fleet"
- Materials (including photos) submitted by Grupa EKOPRO Sp. z o.o. Sp.k.