Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 37
Reducing fuel consumption and emissions by replacing gas-fueled forklifts with electric forklifts
Nestor Springs Sp. z o.o. Sp. k.
Industry branch: Furniture industry
Main products: Spring units, pockets and springs used for mattresses and upholstered furniture
Resources in question:
- Fossil fuels
- Emissions into the atmosphere
(approx. PLN 65,250 gross – the cost of purchasing three electric forklifts less the amount received from the sale of the internal combustion forklifts)
The company used three forklifts with internal combustion engines. This necessitated the purchase of gas cylinders and their frequent replacement (transportation, storage). It was also a source of local air pollution from exhaust fumes to which the company's employees were exposed. In addition, forklifts with gas engines, because of their two rear swivel wheels, have much less maneuverability, which, when moving on the hall between machines, disqualifies them for use in small spaces.
It was necessary to incur financial expenditures to purchase new forklifts. However, since the gas-fueled forklifts were put for sale, the company recovered some of the money it had spent on buying new equipment.
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Reduced gas fuel consumption by about 6,875 kilograms per year (625 gas cylinders of 11 kg each)
- Improved working conditions – reducing local air pollution
- Elimination of the possible cost of buying cylinders: savings of about PLN 15,200/year
- Increase in electricity consumption (for charging forklifts)
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 49.790, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at Nestor Springs Sp. z o.o. Sp.k.: “Reducing environmental impact at Nestor Springs, in line with Cleaner Production principles”
- Materials (including photos) submitted by Nestor Springs