Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 54
Prevention of fiber optic waste generation during the phase of construction of telecommunications networks and connections
Eltronik Media Sp. z o.o. - Sp. k., Brodnica
Industry branch: telecommunications
Main products: relating to Internet access, television, and telephony
Resources in question:
- Emissions into the atmosphere (particulate matter)
(time needed to develop instructions and conduct training for employees: PLN 150, remaining activities: cost-free)
- Ordering larger cable reels: the use of a cable reel with a cable length of 4 km can generate waste in the form of one end section of the cable (e.g., 50 m), while the use of four with a length of 1 km creates a risk of 4 waste cable sections (e.g. 4x50 m = 200 m).
- Ensuring the availability of two reels of cable of the same type, making it possible to select the sections in such a way that there is no unused section left at the end, or that it is as short as possible. This required the development and implementation of a new warehouse policy, careful labeling of reels and ongoing electronic inventory of fiber optic cables.
- Carefully securing, marking and storing leftovers removed from the reel and looking for opportunities to use them in smaller investments
- Modification of warehouse procedure, aiming to minimize waste and properly store cable leftovers. Fiber optic cable is a delicate material, sensitive to moisture and crushing, and the glass fiber particles created when damaged can float in the air as particulate matter (therefore damage to the cable can make it unusable and harmful to health)
- To complement the aforementioned activities, lockable containers were purchased for storing fiber optic waste, to protect against floating of dust from broken fiber optic cables
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Reduction of cable waste generation from 250 m to 50 m per year (i.e., by about 80%), which translates into reduction of costs by about PLN 600/year
- Reduced amount of fiber optic waste handed over for disposal, from 2 m3 to a maximum of 1 m3, which translates into reduction of costs by about PLN 200/year
- Reduced exposure of workers to dust from crushed fiberglass from waste fiber optic cables
photo by Eltronik MEDIA Sp. z o.o. Sp. k.
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 3ind.751, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at Eltronik Media Sp. z o.o. Sp. k.: “Reduction of stretch film consumption in the process of internal transport”
- Materials (including photos) submitted by Eltronik Media Sp. z o.o. Sp. k.