Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 55
Installation of drinking water fountains at the production site in order to reduce the amount of plastic waste
WS Wschodni Front Łukasz Dawidziuk, Paweł Fiedoruk s.c.
Industry branch: food industry
Main products: diet catering - meals
Resources in question:
(approx. PLN 17,250, including PLN 14,000 total for the purchase of 4 water fountains and approx. PLN 3,250 for the purchase of 300 water bottles)
In addition, reusable water bottles (300 bottles) were purchased for all employees, branded with the company's logo – a cartoon figure of Viking with the pro-environmental slogan “EkoViking”, reminding employees of environmentally friendly measures.
The water bottles can be used while at work, but can also be attached to bicycles – for which a parking rack has been installed at the company, encouraging employees to commute by bicycle to work.
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Avoiding waste from 0.5-liter PET bottles in the amount of about 72,000 bottles/year (about 1.8 Mg of waste)
- Total savings: about PLN 43,800/year
- Payback period of the entire investment (including the purchase of water bottles): less than 5 months (while the cost of installing one drinking water fountain, not including the cost of water bottles, pays for itself within about 1 month of use)
- Assuming a carbon footprint of 2.15 kg for a new PET bottle: the reduction (indirect) in CO2-equivalent emissions from fewer bottles produced amounts to almost 4 Mg/year
photo by WS Wschodni Front Łukasz Dawidziuk, Paweł Fiedoruk s.c.
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 7ind.786, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at WS Wschodni Front: "Installation of drinking water fountains at Kuchnia Vikinga production site to minimize the generation of plastic waste and reorganization of the employee parking lot – installation of bicycle racks"
- Materials (including photos) submitted by WS Wschodni Front