Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 70
Obtaining by-product status for cuttings from the production process at the company
FOGO Sp. z o.o., Wilkowice
Industry branch: electromechanical
Main products: electric power generators
Resources in question:
- Secondary raw materials
One of the important parameters that characterize finished products (container / built-in units) is their acoustic power. In order to minimize the impact on the acoustic climate of the environment in which the unit operates, especially in large stationary units, soundproofing placed in its housing is used, among other things. Part of the residue from the cutting of soundproofing polyester sheets (clean / uncontaminated with, for example, adhesives) is a full-value raw material for the production of so-called felt.
In order to be able to sell used cuttings, which constitute waste, to a recipient who is not authorized to manage waste, it was necessary to apply to the provincial marshal for a decision (based on Article 11 of the Waste Law of December 14, 2012) to recognize the object or substance as a by-product. FOGO Sp. z o.o. submitted the required application and received a decision to reclassify the waste as a by-product in December 2020.
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- The average cost of managing the waste cuttings of soundproofing material, which was borne by Fogo in recent years, was about PLN 600 / Mg. Now the company not only no longer incurs this cost, but additionally earns money from the sale of the by-product to an interested recipient
- The value of the offcuts, which are transferred to the recipient as a by-product, is PLN 1,000/Mg; transportation costs are paid by the recipient. Fogo produces about 9 Mg of cuttings meeting the requirements of a by-product per year, so the annual savings and profit from the change described here can be estimated as follows:
- avoided disposal costs: 9 Mg/year x PLN 600 avoided disposal fee for 1 Mg of waste = PLN 5,400/year savings
- earnings from the sale of the by-product (previously not existing): 9 Mg/year x PLN 1,000 profit from selling 1 Mg of the by-product = PLN 9,000/year
- total (savings + earnings): about PLN 14,400/year
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 48.768, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy: "Modernization of technology and management in FOGO within the framework of implementation of the Cleaner Production Program"
- Materials (including photos) submitted by FOGO Sp. z o.o.