Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 75
Reduction of atmospheric emissions and heat loss in the company's premises, thanks to the filtration and recuperation system
Fabryka Armatur “Swarzędz” sp. z o.o.
Industry branch: metallurgical industry
Main products: die forgings, gearbox synchronizer rings, water and heat meter bodies, gas cylinder valves
Resources in question:
- Thermal energy
- Fossil fuels
- Emissions into the atmosphere
- Electrostatic filtration and ventilation: about PLN 700,000 net (filter unit – about PLN 550,000; filter unit housing – about PLN 85,500; pipeline – about PLN 145,500 net)
- Filtration and ventilation with recuperation – filter unit including piping: about PLN 445,000 net
However, as production expanded and forging technology changed, more presses appeared, compounding the problem of emissions at the workstations. In addition, in the autumn and winter, with the solutions used (air extraction that directs emissions to the outside), there was a significant loss of heat, compounding heating needs.
However, the solutions described here could hardly be called Cleaner Production if it were not for the recuperation system used. Dedusted and cleaned air goes to the recuperator and then to the so-called air conditioning unit, from where, after collecting air from outside, it returns to the hall, reducing heat loss (and thus gas consumption) in the autumn and winter months.
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Reduction in gas consumption for space heating
- Improved indoor air quality, reduced outdoor emissions
- Other benefits of oil mist extraction:
- compliance with the occupational health and safety standards
- minimized health hazards, dry surfaces, less risk of slips and falls
- improved field of vision
- minimized risk of fire spreading
- longer life of machines and tools
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 48.772, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at Fabryka Armatur "Swarzędz" sp. z o.o.: "Reducing emissions of pollutants entering the atmosphere through the use of an integrated air filtration system"