Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 34
Reduction in raw material consumption and waste due to elimination of a double joint in spring pockets
Nestor Springs Sp. z o.o. Sp. k.
Industry branch: Furniture industry
Main products: Spring units, pockets and springs used for mattresses and upholstered furniture
Resources in question:
For some finished products, technological assumptions stipulated the need for the so-called double joint between individual sequences of spring units. In the process in question (which is fully automated), the double joint was a signal to the machine that this is where the hose in question ends.
However, the machine's settings caused that if a defect was detected in any pocket after the hose was assembled (e.g., one of the springs was defectively seated or crooked), the entire hose was rejected as waste – that is, the number of pockets per the entire dimension of the spring unit (i.e., a dozen to several dozen pockets). The rejected hose could not be reused in production and was sent for disposal.
After the aforementioned change, when a defective pocket is produced, there is no need for the entire sequence (hose) to be qualified as waste. The machine now automatically cuts out at most three pockets (the one with the defect and, if necessary, two adjacent ones), welding the hose again at the place from where the defective sequence was cut. On the other hand, the end of a given hose is no longer recognized by the double joint, but by the number of correctly welded pockets (the double joint has been eliminated).
The effect of the change is to reduce the amount of waste sent for disposal in case of machine error. The action did not require costs, as it involved changing machine parameters, using a different software function, as well as adjusting and updating the product's technological parameters.
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Reduction of wire waste by 11,442 kg (savings: PLN 28,032) per year
- Reduction of nonwoven waste by 2,131 kg (savings: PLN 2,088) per year
- Reduction of material consumption – in amounts as above
- Total savings: about PLN 30,100/year
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 49.790, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at Nestor Springs Sp. z o.o. Sp.k.: “Reducing environmental impact at Nestor Springs, in line with Cleaner Production principles”
- Materials (including photos) submitted by Nestor Springs