Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 39
Improving packaging waste management
Retail Robotics Sp. z o.o. Sp.k., Tychy
Industry branch: electrical machinery industry
Resources in question:
- Fossil fuels
- Secondary raw materials
- Waste (packaging)
- Emissions into the atmosphere
(PLN 18,840/year – lease costs of a press container and a baler)
Description of the problem:
Packaging waste was not collected separately, but was sent for disposal, which constituted an environmental problem as well as a source of cost for the company.
After visually assessing potential locations where suitable garbage containers for segregating packaging waste could be placed, such containers were placed on the site and labeled in accordance with applicable regulations.
Two pieces of equipment have been leased to facilitate waste management: a press container and a baler, making the collected waste take up less space and easier to transport. A site with paved ground and access to electricity was chosen for their setup, so the company did not incur additional costs to prepare the machines for operation.
An in-plant Procedure for “Packaging Waste Management” and “Environmental Workstation Instructions” have been developed – indicating the rules of conduct and segregation of packaging waste in each department. Among other things, it was ensured that waste would be transferred only to authorized entities, and it was planned to periodically perform a review of the proper implementation of procedures by the Cleaner Production team.
A series of training sessions were also held to present the new segregation rules and new procedures and instructions at every level (Management, Foremen, Production Workers).
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Packaging waste – cardboard boxes: return to supplier of 400 kg per year (80% waste reduction)
- Reducing the number of transports by 12 trips per year while increasing the weight of transported waste (reduction in the number of transports by about 67%)
- Reducing fuel consumption due to the reduction in transportation by 108 liters / year (and associated emissions) by about 67%
- Savings from reduced waste disposal fees and resale of recyclables (less transportation costs): approx. PLN 22,200/year (payback period: approx. 10 months)
- Involving employees in pro-environmental activities, raising their environmental awareness
photo by Retail Roboticx Sp. z o.o. Sp. k.
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 49.800, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at Retail Robotics Sp. z o.o. Sp.k.: “Improving packaging waste management”
- Materials (including photos) submitted by Retail Robotics Sp. z o.o. Sp.k.