Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 40
Reduction of energy consumption, waste generation and noise emissions by changing the technology of cutting metal bars and pipes
TEDGUM Sp. z o.o.
Industry branch: automotive
Resources in question:
- Electrical energy
- Emissions into the atmosphere (indirectly)
Among other things, the company used a worn-out frame saw of the old type (OH253/254) in its processes. The device was characterized by, among other things, reciprocating motion (with the back motion being a work motion and the forth motion being an “empty run” – a non-work motion, increasing energy consumption and machine running time). Since there are newer, better, more economical machines on the market that do not generate “empty runs”, it was decided to select a new machine.
A semi-automatic band saw was selected as the most suitable for the company's current needs (also from an economic point of view – taking into account purchase and operating costs). The new device consumes much less energy, is quieter, and produces less waste (thanks, among other things, to a reduction in cutting width from 2 mm to 0.9 mm), which contributes to better use of raw material (e.g., 1 or even 2 more sleeves can be cut from a single pipe, depending on its length).
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Reduction in electricity consumption by about 1,200 kWh/year (i.e., by about 72%).
- Reduction of post-production waste (filings and material end sections) by about 50%.
- Better utilization of raw material (savings of 2.2% of the input material weight due to the ability to cut more elements from a single pipe or bar)
- Reduction of noise emissions from 80-85dB to 45-50 dB
- Reduced operating time of the saw from 6h/d to 2 h/d (thanks to the more powerful motor, the new device is able to make 3 times as many cuts), which, among other things, reduces the time of noise caused by the device
- Increased work comfort by reducing emission of noise and vibration as well as heat energy in the production room
- Savings: about PLN 3,000/year (payback period: about 4.5 years)
photo by TEDGUM Sp. z o.o.
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 49.806, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at TEDGUM Sp. z o.o.: “Reduction of noise emissions, production waste and energy consumption by changing the technology of cutting metal bars and pipes”
- Materials (including photos) submitted by TEDGUM Sp. z o.o.