Good practices and investments related to Cleaner Production
Example No. 63
Utilization of the waste from the production of nonwoven fluffy fabric as a full-value input material
Pureko Sp. z o.o., Myszków
Industry branch: plastics
Main products: flexible polyurethane foams, nonwoven fluffy fabrics, upholstery and technical felts
Resources in question:
- Fossil fuels
- Secondary raw materials
- Emissions into the atmosphere
(approx. PLN 261,000, including the cost of purchased equipment: approx. PLN 240,000)
Until now, some of the waste generated was stored and then transported to an external company, where it was defibrated and then transported back to Pureko for use in production. The process consumed a lot of time, required a lot of storage space and additional transportation (the waste described here is light, but takes up a lot of space); it also negatively affected workplace safety (problems with keeping the workstations clean).
Waste generated during the production of low-weight fluffy nonwoven fabrics and nonwoven fabrics that were soiled due to their transportation were handed over for disposal.
The work was initiated with the construction of a simplified prototype defibration line. With this solution, with a small outlay, it was possible to verify the effectiveness of the assumptions made and test various configurations.
The project included the purchase of a defibrator, a transfer fan, pipelines to transport pneumatically defibrated waste, diffusers, a buffer conveyor belt and an automatic packing press. At present, the production waste is being further processed on an ongoing basis, resulting, for example, in cleanliness around the line (no storage of the waste generated at the line, the waste is being defibrated on an ongoing basis). The investment in an automatic press has reduced the need for storage space and transportation in relation to the secondary raw material received.
Obtained benefits and effects of the implementation:
- Utilization of 100% of the waste generated during the production of nonwoven fluffy fabric as a full-value input material, in an amount of about 10 Mg/year
- Reduced transportation needs (in terms of internal and external transportation) and associated pollution, which translates, among other things, into savings of about 4,300 liters of fuel per year and reduced associated air emissions
- Improvement of safety at workplaces
- Increased employees' environmental awareness
- Increased available storage space
- Savings per year: about PLN 261,500 (return period: about 12 months)
photo by Pureko Sp. z o.o.
photo by Pureko Sp. z o.o.
- Report on the Cleaner Production Project No. 49.798, developed within the framework of the Cleaner Production Academy at Pureko Sp. z o.o.: “Utilization of the waste from the production of nonwoven fluffy fabric as a full-value input material”
- Materials (including photos) submitted by Pureko